INSTANT DOWNLOAD COMPLETE TEST BANK WITH ANSWERS Dosage Calculations 3rd Canadian Edition by Amy Pickar-Abernethy – Test Bank Sample Questions Chapter 6—Interpreting Drug Orders MULTIPLE CHOICE
- Which of the following is NOT a common medical abbreviation used in writing drug orders?
ANS: A PTS: 1 REF: Page 100-101BLM: Remember
- A drug order states antibiotic 500 mg IV q6h for 7 days, along with the date and time the order was written and the signature of the prescriber. What component is missing from the order?
ANS: A PTS: 1 REF: Page 102-104BLM: Higher Order
- A client order is dated and written by the physician as cefazolin 500 mg q8h for 72 hours post-op. Which of the listed rights of safe medication administration is missing in this order?
ANS: B PTS: 1 REF: Page 102-104BLM: Higher Order
- A nurse correctly interprets a doctor’s order as Demerol 50 mg IM every four hours when necessary. Which of these written orders is the nurse interpreting?
|a.||Demerol mg 50 im q4h ad lib|
|b.||Demerol 50 MG IM q4h ad lib|
|c.||Demerol MG 50 im q4h prn|
|d.||Demerol 50 mg IM q4h prn|
ANS: D PTS: 1 REF: Pages 100-104BLM: Higher Order
- Which of the following nursing actions is inconsistent with the use of the client’s medication administration record (MAR)?
|a.||check the drug order|
|b.||prepare the correct dosage|
|c.||record the drug administered|
|d.||prescribe the drug dose|
ANS: D PTS: 1 REF: Page 106-110BLM: Remember SHORT ANSWER SHORT ANSWER 1 Answer the following questions by supplying either the medical abbreviation or the interpretation of the medical abbreviation.
ANS:Four times per day PTS: 1 REF: Page 100-101
ANS:After meals PTS: 1 REF: Page 100-101
ANS:Sublingual, under the tongue PTS: 1 REF: Page 100-101
ANS:Every PTS: 1 REF: Page 100-101
ANS:Orally PTS: 1 REF: Page 100-101
ANS:Every four hours PTS: 1 REF: Page 100-101
- Before meals
ANS:ac PTS: 1 REF: Page 100-101
- Nothing by mouth
ANS:NPO PTS: 1 REF: Page 100-101
- Three times per day
ANS:tid PTS: 1 REF: Page 100-101
- As desired
ANS:Ad lib PTS: 1 REF: Page 100-101
- When necessary
ANS:prn PTS: 1 REF: Page 100-101
ANS:Stat PTS: 1 REF: Page 100-101 DRUG ORDERS Interpret the following drug orders. The drug orders are presented for practice only; actual prescribed dosages will vary according to a patient’s age, condition, reaction, additional medications, and other factors.
- Penicillin G procaine 1 000 000 units IM qd
ANS:Give 1 000 000 units of penicillin G procaine intramuscularly every day. PTS: 1 REF: Pages 100-104
- Codeine 15 mg po q4h prn, pain
ANS:Give 15 mg of codeine orally every four hours as needed for pain. PTS: 1 REF: Pages 100-104
- Atrophine sulfate 0.2 mg SC stat
ANS:Give 0.2 milligrams atrophine sulfate subcutaneously, immediately. PTS: 1 REF: Pages 100-104
- Potassium chloride 40 mEq po bid in 120 mL of juice
ANS:Give 40 milliequivalents of potassium chloride orally, twice per day, in 120 mL of juice. PTS: 1 REF: Pages 100-104Chapter 7—Understanding Drug Labels MULTIPLE CHOICE
- A medication label reads “allopurinol (Apo-allopurinol) 100 mg tablets, Apotex.” What is the trade name of this medication?
ANS: C PTS: 1 REF: Page 116-117BLM: Remember NOVO-TRIMEL Please use the following label to answer the following questions.
- What is the generic name of this drug?
|c.||sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim|
ANS: C PTS: 1 REF: Page 116-117BLM: Remember
- What is the dosage strength of this drug?
|a.||200 mg/40 mL|
|c.||200/40 mg/5 mL|
ANS: C PTS: 1 REF: Page 117-118BLM: Higher Order
- What is the form of this drug?
ANS: D PTS: 1 REF: Page 118-119BLM: Higher Order
- Which statement is true about the generic name of a drug?
|a.||It is the same as the proprietary name.|
|b.||It is the same as the brand name.|
|c.||It is the same as the nonproprietary name.|
|d.||It is the same as the trade name.|
ANS: C PTS: 1 REF: Page 116-117BLM: Remember SHORT ANSWER LABEL Identify the following label content, using the given label.
- Manufacturer: _________________________
ANS:Apotex Inc. PTS: 1 REF: Page 124
- Brand name: _________________________
ANS:Apo-Procainamide PTS: 1 REF: Page 116-117
- Generic name: _________________________
ANS:procainamide hydrochloride PTS: 1 REF: Page 116-117
- Dosage strength: _________________________
ANS:500 mg per capsule PTS: 1 REF: Page 117-118
- Form: _________________________
ANS:capsules PTS: 1 REF: Page 118-119
- Administration route: _________________________
ANS:oral administration PTS: 1 REF: Page 121
- Drug Identification Number: _________________________
ANS:DIN 00713341 PTS: 1 REF: Page 125
- UPC code bars: _________________________
ANS:71313 00737 PTS: 1 REF: Page 126
- Total number of capsules: _________________________
ANS:100 capsules PTS: 1 REF: Page 120 METOCLOPRAMIDE Identify the following, using the given label.
- Supply dosage: _________________________
ANS:10 mg/2 mL or 5 mg/mL PTS: 1 REF: Page 120
- Total volume: _________________________
ANS:2 mL PTS: 1 REF: Page 127 PENICILLIN Identify the following, using the given label.
- Lot number: _________________________
ANS:Lot 302081 PTS: 1 REF: Pages 124
- Expiration date: _________________________
ANS:2005 FE PTS: 1 REF: Page 124 LIDOCAINE Identify the following, using the given label.
- The supply dosage of pure drug is __________ g per _________ mL.
ANS:2% = 2 g per 100 mLPTS: 1 REF: Page 127-128
- The supply dosage of pure drug is __________ mg per mL.
ANS:PTS: 1 REF: Page 127-128